Beyond the business strategy-related innovations, open innovation can also deliver many interesting results with regards to technological innovation. Actually, so far this has been the main outcome that open innovation has been useful for in all industries, including the tourism industry. Needless to say, technological challenges should be only open to professional contributors. There are many examples of possible technology-based innovations which could be developed using the open innovation framework:
- Apps for managing congestion and mobility within the destination
- Apps for marketing experiences and selling services in the destination
- Apps for delivering technology-based experiences such as Augmented or Mixed reality, etc.
- Apps to facilitate marketing content generation and contribution to open innovation
- Apps to facilitate contribution to the Open Innovation System related to strategy innovation
- Technological solutions for the environmental challenges, like monitoring positive and negative impacts, managing waste, fostering use of renewable energy, etc.
- Advanced gear for specific activities
- Artificial Intelligence, Internet of Things and other cutting-edge technologies leveraged for the improvement of the customer experience.
To start with, it is possible to use some open innovation platforms such as Innocentive, which has long expertise in dealing with technological innovations and a vast network of innovators to leverage for these kinds of challenges. Innocentive is an excellent benchmark to consider when developing the Open Innovation System, especially with regards to challenge-driven innovation for technological solutions.
This article is from the White Paper “Envisioning Open Innovation in Destinations”, available for download in www.envisioningtourism.com/whitepapers