The value created by the experiences and feelings in relation to the discomforts and risks lived by the tourists during their holiday in the destination is referred to as emotional value. In this point, there are many types of experiences, feelings, discomforts and risks to talk about, for each of these four factors is explained through the development of many categories.
When classifying experiences, there are many possible criteria that can be used. According to the relationship established between the tourist and the destination:
- Edutainment: to learn while entertaining in an active relationship that keeps the tourist mentally absorbed.
- Entertainment: to see, listen, smell, touch in a rather passive relationship that keeps the tourist mentally absorbed.
- Escapism: to do some kind of sporting or physical activity that keeps the tourist active and physically immersed in the destination.
- Esthetic: to be there, rather sightseeing entailing a passive relationship that keeps the tourist physically immersed in the destination.
Furthermore, the life-changing experiences leading the development of tourism 3.0 could also be classified in many categories depending on the type of transformation or change experienced by the tourist:
- Personal awareness & discovery, and spiritual development
- Social awareness and cross-cultural understanding
- Environmental consciousness and education
- Skill development in arts, communication and leadership
- Transfer of values and wisdom
- Personal transformation by discovering the fulfillment of contributing to the greater good
Finally, the experiences may also be classified according to the product or service they are generated by. In this classification, we distinguish many kinds of experiences:
- Restaurants: food-street markets, panoramic restaurants, underwater restaurant, show cooking, boutique restaurant in a special location like a boat, self-cooking, terrace with view, cave restaurant, restaurant with live music & performance, etc.
- Sightseeing with original & charming transport systems: gondolas, old fashioned tramway, rickshaw, seaplane, tourist train, dogsledding, snowmobile, camel/horse/elephant ride, hot balloon, helicopter, cable-car, transparent bottom boat, charming old boat, etc.
- Accommodation: huts in trees, Ice hotel, monastery, boutique hotel, boat hotel, huts in the jungle, transparent ceiling igloo, cave hotel, castle, underwater hotel, etc.
- Shopping: street markets, theme markets, shopping villages, artisans show-crafting, educational shopping –explaining how the product is done, or/and its benefits-, etc.
- Culture & entertainment: Imax/3D cinema, charming villages & old towns, botanical garden, zoo, aquarium, wildlife watching, storytelling performance, museum, religious ceremony in a temple, visiting a Palace or a castle, theater, opera, music festivals, music & fireworks & springs, street theater, acrobatics show, etc.
- Fun: adventure park & zip lines, roller coaster, party boat, water park, amusement park, etc.
- Iconic experiences: these take place in an iconic building and may consist of many different types of activities such as sightseeing from a privileged position, attending events, museums, accommodation, etc. The iconic buildings may be a telecom tower, big wheel, Congress Center, Opera House, Wellness & Spa center, Sporting events venue, Imax Cinema, bridge, hotel, museum of science, national theater, temple, stadium, etc.
- Special interest: cycling, hiking, learning to cook, bird watching, climbing, diving, snorkeling, sailing, learning languages, marathon, Sport events, learning about art, Cultural events, pilgrimages, wildlife discovery, skydiving, etc.
Do you think of other types of memorable experiences?