In relation to all the new strategies to deploy Destination marketing 3.0, there are their corresponding infrastructures and tactics to implement the strategic guidelines. As explained for every strategy, the existing tools and activities are to keep on functioning as long as they are profitable enough. Actually, one of the roles of the Open Innovation System is to keep on streamlining the marketing operations. When drafting this Operational Plan it necessary to explain for every infrastructure or tactic: its goals, its constituents, budget, priority level, person(s) responsible for its implementation and key success factors.
The new infrastructure consists of website, web-based platforms:
- Corporate website is the main communication hub for all stakeholders. This is the hub where most of the “Call to action” featured in the content have to redirect, and so there has to be landing pages for every call to action. Furthermore, it is also the hub where contents are posted and linked to the social media channels for every target audience. It may include a blog, a forum, and the landing pages. It also contains the Booking platform, the Open Innovation platform and the Online Store.
- Open innovation platform is the hub where innovators are called to be registered and to sign up for related events. In the case of non-professional contributors it is the place to submit their content or their ideas, whereas in the case of professional contributors this becomes an essential tool, as the innovation challenges for professionals are fully managed through this platform and entail more complex procedures than the non-professional ones.
- Booking platform is one of the key infrastructures for the new marketing system as the intention is for it to become the main sales channel for tourism products. Through the delivered content, there is an increasing publicity of the booking platform –within the website-, thus increasing the target audience awareness of the new online channel and the overall sales through it. The goal is to make it the central sales channel as it is the most profitable for the destination and its businesses.
- Online store is another new sales channel but for the merchandise products. Based also on the website platform it is to become the main distribution channel for the new merchandise products. Through advertising content in the social media and the expected popularity of the destination branded designs, this is to become an important source of revenue streams. It is also a way to collect data about the destination followers when they submit their order.
- Network database. This is a crucial infrastructure, as important as it is to know our network members. As long as the followers, clients, contributors and other engaged individuals establish relationship with the destination it is convenient to register their data and add information on how they engage with the destination activities and contents. The better we know them the better we can optimize the marketing strategies to engage them.
Do you think of any other necessary marketing infrastructure?