Even if the bulk of the open innovation activity is expected to be carried out by the non-professional contributors in content creation and product development, there are other outputs and players to whom it is necessary to pay attention to for their key contribution in improving the destination competitiveness and marketing system.
It is necessary to note that the open innovation system is likely to be applicable only in the case of large DMOs and large DMCs, though simplified structures and formulas could also be designed for smaller organizations. To envision the open innovation system, let’s consider some of the outputs that may result out of it other than content and product:
- Innovation in marketing strategy: new marketing channels, targets, business units, etc.
- Innovation in marketing operations like new infrastructure and tactics
- Technological innovations to streamline operations or create more value
- Technological innovations to tackle environmental challenges
- Innovative strategies to solve socio-cultural issues related to the mission statement
Do you think of other interesting outputs to be obtained from professional contribution?