Google + is used by 41% of B2C marketers and 39% of B2B marketers for it is equally valid for individual and corporate targets. With regards to the conversion goals, it is most suitable for engaging the targets as tourists, clients, followers, contributors, brand ambassadors and volunteers, using preferably videos, photos or infographics.
Google + has recently launched “Stories”, a feature that generates travelogues with the pictures and motion-pictures uploaded in a Google+ account. This is to become a new way to share travel experiences that will inspire global travelers. With “Stories”, travelers are able to share, inspire and preserve their memories as live travelogues on the web-space. “Stories” automatically categorizes pictures and videos uploaded in a user’s account selecting the best pictures among all creating an online travelogue. The feature selects the most promising pictures understanding their geography with the tags and generating the story with the date, time and other specifications.
“Stories” also enables users to add notes to pictures, add or remove them, view the travelogue in full screen and edit the travelogue automatically. It can also plug in relevant destination information and add visual maps to represent the traveler’s journey. This innovative feature could be used as a story builder for holding “Google+ Story contests”, to foster Google+ based storytelling. Beyond this tactic, there are many other guidelines to be considered:
- Offer a balanced mix of content media, as the platform allows the user to mix photos, videos, infographics, etc. thus creating an eye-catching experience
- Find ways to use the symbols # and +, as hashtags help your posts get discovered through search and the “Plus” feature catches the attention of individuals and brands.
- Share content from your employees, as a way to give them recognition for their content creation efforts and showcasing the commitment of all staff members in their mission.
- Use archived content that may be appropriate for trending topics
- Share others’ content adding your comments as with a blog post
- Use “Plus Post Adds” to take advantage of the network of advertising spaces available through Google.
- “Hangouts on air” allow marketers to have hangouts with nine other people while broadcasting to a larger audience. These hangouts may be automatically recorded and uploaded to the Youtube account to reach a broader audience. Such hangouts may be used for conferences, events, interviews, etc.
- As Google search engine uses the Google+ accounts information, it is convenient to include all the relevant information, updates and keywords in the brand’s page to favor its SEO.
- Create communities in relation to innovation groups or mission driven challenges to communicate with individuals interested in specific issues related to the destination.
To monitor the marketing performance of Google+ for the destination, the internal analytic tool provides the user with the coverage of every post, the interactions of every user with the brand’s page, the audience within the brand’s page. Some external tools such as “Simply measured” provide more supporting information.
Would you consider other target roles, content types or strategy tips?