Even if Social Media Marketing is presented here as a new channel which eventually has to replace the traditional ones, the best way to bring it in is in coexistence with the current marketing system. Furthermore, social media channels are to be useful for communicating with many of the current clients of the destination, for it is convenient to take them into account when formulating the social media strategy, even if this Whitepaper focuses its attention on the main targets related to destination marketing 3.0.
Social media platforms offer a great opportunity to connect with the target audience not only to deliver content but also to create a two-way conversation, and these conversations are the ones that eventually lead to their engagement with the destination’s mission and brand. Among the many goals that can be achieved through social media channels, the following may be highlighted:
- Generating traffic to the corporate website
- Delivering targeted contents to segmented audiences
- Tapping into new markets and segments through social endorsements and paid advertising
- Provide a customer service platform where customers queries and complaints are attended
- Operating many activities of the open innovation system, especially those for non-professionals
- Facilitating the connection between tourists to let them share stories and information
- Enabling social leaders and creative activists to advocate for the brand in their communities
- Generating conversations and discussions about brand or mission related issues
- Interacting and building relationships with stakeholders to engage them with the brand
Do you think of other relevant goals attainable through social media?