When formulating the Content Strategy, the first step is to refer to the communication goals in relation to each of the target audiences. Then, from the goals for every audience, it’s time to decide what type of contents and formats are more likely to effectively convey the intended message or to motivate the intended action by the target audience. In this step it is necessary to conduct research on the target audiences’ needs, concerns, preferences, motivations and habits to figure out which is the appropriate content for every occasion. Together with the research on the social media channels, it is necessary to find out, for every target audience:
- What kind of issues arouse their interest and attention?
- Which social media platforms do they use and for what purposes? What kind of content do they read or view for every purpose?
- What supports do they use when using social media and reading or viewing contents?
- What types of formats and styles do they prefer for each type of content?
- Which is the preferred extension of the content pieces and their flexibility in this regard?
- Do they miss any type of content? Is there any type of content they would appreciate receiving on a regular basis? What types of content are they most likely to share?
- How much time do they spend connected to the social media?
- What activities and contents would motivate them to interact with our brand in social media: participating in contests, discussion forums, etc.?
Bear in mind that the content strategy should not only consider the different audiences and different formats adapted to the social media platforms and devices, but also what is the intended purpose of the content in relation to the audience: is it trying to entertain in order to gain brand awareness and popularity? Is it trying to educate in order to create concern? Is it trying to establish an emotional connection? Is it trying to encourage constituents in becoming brand ambassadors? Is it trying to motivate contribution to the content system?
To map out an engagement process applicable to the majority of the target audiences, there may be consideration of five main roles or engagement stages that most targets may take, so the content strategy has to consider that engagement has a sequential process as follows:
|Follower > Client > Tourist > Contributor > Brand ambassador|
Which other insights would you research on?