The platform’s organizational structure should rather have a horizontal profile to empower leadership development within the team, but also as a starting point to create a culture throughout the stakeholder ecosystem based upon empowerment, trust, collaboration and innovation.
Even if the organizational structure may differ among destination models 3.0, there are some roles and competences which are likely to be necessary in all of them, as we have seen with the key activities:
- Managing director: in charge of leading the executive team, the corporate strategy direction, and platform’s public relationships. He or she would be the leader of the business model innovation area of the open innovation system. This would correspond to a visionary with strong leadership skills and great capacity for understanding all stakeholders’ needs, motivations and concerns, in order to lead the business model innovation with the smoothest possible manner.
- Experience development director: in charge of leading the “experience development” section of the innovation system, bringing in ideas to inspire the development of new experiences, organizing creativity challenges and events, coaching partners in their experience development efforts, and controlling that all experiences comply with the mission guidelines. This would be a professional with strong leadership skills, imagination and coaching skills.
- Business intelligence director: in charge of collecting, analyzing and communicating the intelligence data following the key performance metrics’ parameters, as well as the market intelligence obtained through the open innovation ecosystem and external sources. This would be an analyst profile with good leadership skills to establish relationship with all kinds of stakeholders who ultimately provide the intelligence data to nurture the monitoring system.
- Operations director: in charge of leading the operations manager team (Partner integration & HR manager, Quality manager, IT manager and Maintenance manager). This would correspond to a professional with strong leadership skills, conflict resolution skills, capable of coordinating a complex operational system in constant evolution, where it is necessary to attend and understand multiple sensitivities and concerns to properly address all operational challenges.
- Quality manager: in charge of controlling and assessing the service quality of all partner suppliers through customer reviews and mystery tourist system, training and coaching on service quality standards, and determining the rewards and penalties applicable to all service employees and partners. This would be a professional with strong capacity for coaching and training, as well as for developing the methodology to assess the service quality performance and the incentive system.
- Partner integration & HR manager: in charge of assessing candidate partners prior to their integration into the business model. As a recruiter, should be able to assess candidates’ competences and fit potential into the business model culture, determining also the skill development program to be followed if necessary. This would rather correspond to a human resources psychologist profile with strong skills in analyzing candidates’ competences and mindset.
- Marketing director: in charge of the marketing strategy direction and leading the marketing team (Social media manager, Content marketing manager and Booking & Customer service manager). He or she would also lead the story creation section of the innovation system, and would be in charge of all marketing tasks not corresponding to any of the managers. This would correspond to a marketing professional with strong leadership skills, broad marketing vision and imagination.
- Content Marketing Manager: in charge of leading the content & design creation section in the innovation system and assisting the Marketing Director with the storytelling section in inspiring and invigorating the creation of stories, designs and other contents, and selecting the best ones to be used for marketing purposes. This would correspond to a marketing professional specialized in content management, with excellent criteria for identifying good contents to be used for marketing purposes.
- Social Media Manager: in charge of social media marketing campaigns and controlling online reputation of the destination’s brand. This would correspond to a marketing professional enthusiast about social media marketing, with imagination and strategic orientation to leverage the marketing content creation to the utmost of its potential throughout the social media networks.
Other positions such as the Financial Controller, Booking & Customer Service Manager, IT Manager or Maintenance manager are not described as their functions would be the usual in most companies.
This section should list all kinds of resources to start-up the business, as well as foresee the new resources to be acquired or attracted as long as the platform is expanded. This should also encompass the organizational chart with the job description of all executives.
Do you miss any relevant position or relevant role within the job descriptions mentioned above?